Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Taiyo Ramen

After spending too much time today browsing through Japanese ramen websites translated by the great google, I had to eat some ramen. I couldn't decide which ramenya to go to, so we ended up going to the first ramen shop we saw, Taiyo Ramen.


Located on the edge of Ala Moana Shopping Center, Taiyo ramen is part of a mini strip mall, that like its neighbor, has a packed parking lot at peak hours. Luckily, we found a spot right away, but many cars were circling the lot after a while. Korean owned and operated, Taiyo ramen's menu presents all the usual dishes you'd expect to see at a ramen shop with a Korea influence. Service was fast and our food arrived at our table just 5 minutes after we ordered.

Each table gets a tiny (size of a sauce dish) but tasty dish of kimchee with their order. The kimchee is crunchy and flavorful, but not overpowering with just a small spicy kick.

Since Taiyo Ramen is not the typical ramen shop, I decided to try something other than my usual Shoyu ramen. I order the Seafood Ramen - SPICY ($8.75). My ramen was loaded with toppings: cabbage, seaweed, green onions, carrots and a generous amount of seafood (squid, clams and shimp). The ramen was HUGE and the taste resembled the Korea ramen-like dish Champon/jjamppon. The seafood was the main flavor in the both and I asked for my ramen to be spicy, however there was not much kick to it.

Since my friend decided he didn't want to chance ruining his shirt with ramen-slurping splatter, he order the chicken katsu curry ($8.95). The curry had big chucks of onion and carrots and tasted like a typical Japanese curry, however it had a little spice and little less sweetness. The katsu was was juicy and still cruchy even though it was smothered in the curry.

With its quick service, big servings and Korean-hinted menu, Taiyo ramen was a nice change to my usual ramen eating.

Taiyo Ramen
451 Piikoi St, Ste 105
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 589-2123

Parking: Lot in front of restaurant
Payment: Cash Only
Alcohol: None
Not So Typical Options: Kimchee Frid Rice



3 comments:

claricespieces said...

I love kimchi fried rice!! I also made kimchi spam musubi. Highly recommend you give it a try, if you haven't already.

Lucas said...

Nice pics. I'll add Taiyo to my list. Wanted to make some ramen recommendations as well. Ramen Ya at the Kaahumanu Shopping Center, next to Macy's and McDonalds on Puunene Avenue across the Maui Swap Meet. Keep up the blogging. I'll let you know my blog address when I come up with a name.

Unknown said...

Ramen Ya has been added to the list! Look forward to trying it on my next visit home :)